All residents are required to recycle the items below. Requirements apply to residents living in single-family homes, apartments, townhomes, condominiums, duplexes and assisted living.
Follow these rules to ensure your recycling gets recycled:
Do not use plastic bags. Place recyclables loose in your recycling cart or in a paper bag.
- Empty and dry bottles, jars and containers. They don't have to be perfect — just free of most residue.
- Leave caps on containers.
- Empty and flatten boxes.
- Check the
Recycling Guide if you are not sure about an item.
Put these items in your recycling
- Newspaper and inserts
- Magazines and catalogs
- Mail and office papers
- Corrugated cardboard
- Paperboard (e.g., cracker boxes)
- Milk and juice cartons
- Soup, broth, and wine cartons
- Juice boxes
- Aluminum, tin, and steel cans
Glass bottles and jars
Plastic bottles, containers and jugs
- Containers numbered 1, 2 or 5
- Soda, juice and water bottles
- Milk and juice jugs
- Margarine, cottage cheese, cream cheese and other tubs and lids
- Laundry detergent bottles and jugs
- Clear berry and produce containers
NO – DO NOT put these items in your recycling
- Black plastic
- Ceramic dishware
- Clothing and textiles
- Household hazardous waste/hazardous waste
- Paper plates, cups, and napkins
- Pharmaceuticals and medicines/medical waste
- Plastic bags and film
- Metal cylinders (e.g., propane tanks)
- Scrap metal* (e.g., metal pots and pans)
- Shredded paper
- Tanglers (e.g., chains, extension cords, hoses, string lights)
- Yard waste and Christmas trees
- All items banned from being placed in the trash or recycling in state or local law – including:
- Major Appliances
- Sharps (e.g., lancets, needles, syringes)
*Scrap metal is allowed in carts and dumpsters only if delivered to the Tennis Sanitation recycling facility.
Learn how to recycle right
Recycling at multifamily properties
Find resources to improve recycling at apartments, townhomes or other multifamily property through the Multifamily Recycling Program.
How to set up recycling and trash services