Dakota County offers grants up to $10,000 to public and private schools to start or improve waste management practices, including reuse, recycling, food waste prevention and organics collection. No match is required.
- Grant project examples:
- Recycling and organics program improvements (indoor and outdoor)
- Waste reduction projects (reusable serviceware, food share tables, bulk dispensers)
- Staff stipends (Green Team leader, cafeteria monitor)
- Student and staff education (training, presentations)
- Dakota County provides assistance throughout the project, including:
- Grant application assistance
- Implementation, coordination and trouble-shooting assistance
- Documentation of project activities and results
- School must provide a contact person to collaborate, engage leaders at a kick-off and final project meetings, and start or engage a student Green Team
Mini grants up to $1,000 are available for schools looking for minor support to supplement existing programs. Mini grants have limited technical assistance and fewer school responsibilities.
What participants have said:
“The guidance and resources that Dakota County provided helped us to understand our options, target areas of waste, and effectively plan to reduce our school's footprint." – Katie Hanson, FIT Academy Operations Manager
“We saw a cost savings with using real silverware instead of plastic-plus we are reducing waste in the dumpster/landfill." – Ross Larson, Cherry View Elementary Head Cook
“This grant is what allowed our school to take our waste reduction and recycling behaviors as a school community to the next level. Without it, we would not have had the focus, organization, and support to create a sustainable plan." – Lauren Trainer, School of Environmental Studies Principal
Recently awarded recycling grants
Dakota County awarded $90,170 to 14 schools to reduce waste and improve recycling and organics collection. Review the 2020 school project results.
Applications for grants up to $10,000 are closed for the 2021-2022 school year. Contact email@example.com for more information and to be placed on the waiting list to be notified when applications become available.
Applications for mini grants up to $1,000 may be submitted year-round. Submit a School Mini Grant Form to firstname.lastname@example.org to apply.
Grants are approved on a first-come, first-served basis as funds allow.
Review the Grant Program Summary.
Contact email@example.com with questions.