Libraries Parks

Crime Victim & Witness Support

Civil Judgments

​A civil judgment is a final court decision requiring one party to pay a specific sum of money to another party.  In certain situations, the Court can order a civil judgment when restitution is ordered as part of the defendant’s sentence. 

Crime victims do not need to file a separate civil lawsuit to get a civil judgment for the amount of restitution owed to them. The criminal or juvenile delinquency court order for restitution can be changed into a civil judgment. 

The judgment is enforceable for 10 years and can be renewed.  For more information about how to docket and collect a civil judgment, see the County Attorney’s CivilJudgments.pdfCivil Judgments brochure.

Last updated: 11/12/2012 10:28 AM