Libraries Parks

Crime Victim & Witness Support


​Restitution is money the Court orders the offender to pay to the victim for out-of-pocket costs incurred as a result of a crime.

The Court orders the actual restitution amount. The Community Corrections Victim Restoration Unit is often asked to help determine the amount of restitution to be paid.  For more information, contact them at 651-554-6030.

Asking for restitution
To obtain restitution from an offender, you must submit a written Request for Restitution form.  For a copy of the required form and/or assistance in completing it, contact the Dakota County Attorney’s Victim/Witness Program at 651-438-4470.

Include the following information with your completed Request for Restitution form:

  • An itemized description of your losses.
  • The cost for repair or replacement.
  • Receipts, written estimates, insurance claim forms, or explanations for how you determined the costs. Do not send your originals.

Expenses eligible for restitution
You may request restitution for expenses you have incurred that are a direct result of the offense. These may include, but are not limited to:

  • Medical bills
  • Counseling costs
  • Transportation costs
  • Lost wages
  • Repair or replacement of stolen property
  • Repair or replacement of damaged property

Expenses ineligible for restitution
Payment for “pain and suffering” or “emotional distress” cannot be ordered by the criminal court. Victims who want compensation for this type of loss may wish to hire a private attorney and should consider the offender’s financial resources and ability to pay.

Restitution payments
Once the amount is ordered by the Court, the offender is required to make payment(s) to District Court.  District Court then issues reimbursement check(s) to the victim(s).  For questions about payments, contact the District Court at 651-438-8100 or contact the offender's probation officer.

For more information, see the Minnesota Office of Justice Programs' Restitution brochure or call the Dakota County Attorney’s Victim/Witness Program at 651-438-4470.

Last updated: 5/2/2014 11:29 AM