Dakota County is planning and designing improvements to County Highway 42 from Redwood Drive to 147th Street. The project's design will be based on concepts discussed with the community as we completed the
County Highway 42 Management Plan.
Goals and design concepts
The project goals are to best serve pedestrians, bicyclists, motorists, and nearby residents and businesses. The concepts include new traffic signals, improved multi-use trails, better turn lanes and new intersection controls. The planned changes will improve safety and help keep County Highway 42 at four through lanes, without need for roadway expansion. From west to east, the design concepts previously identified include:
- Redwood Drive – Little or no change anticipated (maintain and monitor the intersection as side-stop controlled with full access)
- Elm Drive and Redwood Park – Remove the traffic signal at Elm Drive and reconstruct the median to reduce left turns, concurrent with a new structure under County Highway 42 for pedestrians and bicyclists to cross to each side of Redwood Park
- Garden View Drive – Replace the traffic signals, improve turn lanes and improve pedestrian crossings
- Trails and frontage roads – Improve the continuity of multi-use trails throughout the project segment and determine the best design details for the frontage roads
- Hayes Road – Replace the traffic signals, improve turn lanes, improve pedestrian crossings and reconstruct the retaining wall
- 147th Street and east – Reconstruct the median at 147th Street to reduce left turns and improve multi-use trails east to Pennock Avenue
Public open house - Wednesday, Nov. 15, 2023
Join us for a community meeting on Wednesday, Nov. 15 to learn more about the goals for the County Highway 42 Modernization Project. View potential roadway alternatives, ask questions, and share your feedback.
Wednesday, Nov. 15, 4:30–6:30 p.m. (open house, come any time)
Apple Valley Senior Center, Yosemite Room
14601 Hayes Road, Apple Valley
Open House Presentation
You can also sign up for project emails and provide comments and questions online.
Sign up for project emails and give feedback
Tentative project schedule
- 2023 and 2024: Detailed preliminary engineering design
- 2025 and 2026: Final engineering design and right-of-way process
- 2027: Construction
For assistance or more information
Please contact the county's project manager if you have questions or need assistance with posted information.
Doug Abere, Project Manager