Shop used to support local businesses and save money.
Download the Reuse in Dakota County Guide to find out:
- What you can donate
- Tips on donating
- Where to donate in Dakota County
- Top products to buy used
Many donation centers have reopened and accept items again, but donating may look a little different now.
Follow these guidelines:
- Check with the donation center to find out if they are open, what they accept and how to safely drop off items.
- Inspect your stuff. Consider whether you would give the items to a friend or family. If not, they may not be worth donating.
- Clean your items. Check for personal items in pockets or furniture cubbies. Take out dead batteries from toys and electronics, but leave in batteries that work.
- Be prepared for a contactless donation process. Bring items in a container like a bag or box that you do not need returned.
- Put items in the trunk or back seat for an attendant to easily grab. Be patient — wait times may be long.
- Bring a mask. You may be required or asked to wear a face covering to protect workers and yourself.
- Never leave items outside of drop-off locations. The donation center pays the disposal cost for ruined items.
Many thrift stores depend on the sale of goods. Shop safely by following signs and wearing a mask. Several organizations like Goodwill and Arc Value Village have online stores, too.