Get items fixed or mended for free and learn useful repair skills at an upcoming Fix-It clinic.
Skilled volunteers help you figure out what's wrong and fix your broken items. Clinics build community and reduce the amount of stuff thrown in the trash.
Fix-It Clinic dates
Virtual Fix-It Clinic
Saturday, Feb. 20, 10 a.m.-noon
Sunday, March 21, 10 a.m.-noon
Volunteers during the virtual clinic provide the same great repair help like an in-person clinic.
Fill out a questionnaire. Dakota County staff and volunteer fixers will review submissions to ensure we can work on your item over video chat. Instructions and appointment information will be sent to each participant prior to the event. Time slots are first come, first served and can be adjusted if needed.
Residents who do not have a broken item but would like to view the event to learn great repair tips can contact at 952-891-7557 or firstname.lastname@example.org to register.
Attend a partner clinic:
Anoka County Fix-It Clinic
Hennepin County Fix-It Clinic
Ramsey County Fix-It Clinic
Washington County Fix-It Clinic
Things to remember
- Learn from your fixer — ask questions and be an active participant in the repair process.
- We can't guarantee an item will be fixed, but we'll give it our best shot.
- You're responsible for properly disposing of non-fixable items, but we'll help connect you to the right disposal information.
- Sewers can make minor repairs, mending, hemming pants and skirts and zipper troubleshooting. No major alterations will be possible. If necessary, our sewers will try to provide recommendations for alternative repair services.
What to bring
There is a three-item limit and you must be able to carry items in – no oversized items. Feel free to bring any parts and supplies you think might help with the job. Our volunteers have plenty of tools, but please bring any tool unique to your item.
The following are examples of things that have been repaired at Fix-It Clinics:
- Radios and stereos
- Clothing to mend - must be clean
- DVD players
- Coffee makers
- Remote controls
- Sewing machines
- Toasters and toaster ovens
Volunteer at a Fix-It Clinic
Bring your problem-solving skills as a fixer or mender to a Fix-It Clinic. Volunteer fixers who have skills in soldering, electronics repair, electrical repair, sewing, wood working and general tinkering are essential to making the clinics successful.
Sign-up online to volunteer at a Fix-It Clinic or contact Joe Gellman at 952-891-7013.
Other repair resources
ReUSE Minnesota—online directory of repair businesses in Minnesota
iFixIt.com—online free repair guide for electronics