The Statewide Health Improvement Partnership (SHIP) aims for all people to have access to tobacco and nicotine prevention and quitting information. Especially in communities the tobacco industry advertising focuses on.
SHIP strategic directions
- Preventing tobacco use initiation and eliminating use of commercial tobacco and nicotine products among youth and young adults.
- Eliminating commercial tobacco and nicotine use and secondhand smoke disparities.
Dakota County tobacco-free partners
Dakota County SHIP works with schools, housing groups and community sites to create tobacco-free policies, infrastructure, programs and activities. If you or your organization would like to discuss how Dakota County could support you, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Dakota County works with school districts to provide prevention and quitting education. Dakota County staff are also available to join wellness committees to help review and strengthen policies. Examples of Dakota County's tobacco-free work with schools includes:
- Conducting tobacco and vaping prevention trainings for staff
- Updating tobacco and nicotine policies to include e-cigarettes, vaping and other alternatives
- Providing guidance on policy guidelines and suggested penalties for students and staff
- Implementing new state requirements
- Promoting prevention and quitting resources
- Completing peer-to-peer education and engagement activities
- Providing quitting support for students under the age of 19
School success story
Dakota County partners with Tobacco Free Alliance who has worked with youth groups in Eagan and Two Rivers in Mendota Heights. They provide vaping support and education to the youth groups. Eagan High School also hosts a peer-to-peer mentoring program, called Tobacco-Free Society.
During the 2021-2022 school year, Eagan High School's Tobacco-Free Society led vaping prevention presentations to students at multiple middle schools in Dakota County. More than 250 eighth graders attended the presentations. These peer-to-peer workshops included:
- Younger students learning from older peers about vaping's harmful effects
- Commercial tobacco industry's marketing tactics to attract young people
- Resources to quit vaping
- Opportunities to join tobacco prevention advocacy work
Dakota County partners with Live Smoke Free a program through Association for Nonsmokers - Minnesota to work with multi-unit housing complexes and cities in the county on implementing smoke-free housing policies. For a list of smoke-free housing options in Dakota County, view the Live Smoke Free Directory.
Everyone deserves to breathe clean air. Dakota County prioritizes smoke-free recreation areas and creating healthier spaces for outdoor leisure and exercise.
- Dakota County Parks and facilities are smoke-free: Policy 8101
“Getting feedback and input from our residents and community members is crucial when making plans for the future of West St. Paul. Dakota County Public Health and the Live Smoke Free program made the process easy by helping us gather invaluable feedback and information about smoke-free housing in West St. Paul. I look forward to using this information and continuing to improve relationships as we work together toward a better city and place to live." - Melissa Houtsma, West St. Paul City Planner