The Law Library and Dakota County Library have books on estate planning, including the creating of wills, living trusts and other estate planning documents.
Some titles available include:
- 8 Ways to Avoid Probate (Apple Valley and Hastings)
- How to Make a Minnesota Will (Apple Valley and Hastings)
- Estate Planning Basics (Apple Valley and Hastings)
- IRAs, 401(k)s & Other Retirement Plans: Taking Your Money Out (Apple Valley)
- Make Your Own Living Trust (Apple Valley and Hastings)
- Social Security, Medicare & Government Pensions: Get the Most out of Your Retirement & Medical Benefits (Apple Valley and Hastings)
Probate is the legal process of administering the estate of a deceased person by resolving all claims and distributing the deceased person's property under the valid will. A probate interprets the instructions of the deceased, decides the executor as the personal representative of the estate, and adjudicates the interests of heirs and other parties who may have claims against the estate.
The Law Library has many resources to help you through probate.
- Probate and Planning booklet: Published by the Minnesota Attorney General’s Office, the booklet has sections on wills, probate, living trusts, conservatorship, power of attorney, health care directive, planning a funeral and sample forms. Download the document.
- Minnesota Estate Administration Deskbook: Both branches have copies of the book. Includes forms.
- Minnesota Association of Probate Registrars Informal Probate Manual: located at Hastings and Apple Valley.
You can also find some probate forms on the Minnesota Department of Commerce website and the Minnesota Court's website.