The Strategic Plan Goals reflect the Board of Commissioners' vision for Dakota County and are meant to guide the work of the County and to provide direction and context for the work of staff. The goals are as follows:
A great place to live
- Dakota County strives to be a welcoming place where all people are safe, have opportunities to thrive, and enjoy a high lifelong quality of life.
A healthy environment with quality natural areas
- Dakota County protects and maintains natural resources for the health and enjoyment of current and future residents.
A successful place for business and jobs
- Dakota County fosters business and employment success through modern infrastructure, low taxes, and a prepared, connected workforce.
Excellence in public service
- Dakota County demonstrates sound stewardship of human and financial resources, communicates and engages with the public, and innovates and collaborates to provide excellent service.
Indicators and measures
In addition to adopting four Strategic Plan Goals, the Dakota County Board of Commissioners selected several high-level indicators and measures. These help Dakota County monitor the trend, over time, of several important items, as well as information regarding the performance of the services that we provide. Below is a list of the indicators and measures:
- Population growth
- Overall quality of life in Dakota County
- Households burdened by housing costs
- Crime rates
- Traffic safety
- Third grade reading level
- Commute time
- Jobs and wages
- Water quality
- Overall tax burden
- County tax levy trend
- Dakota County employee retention (2+ years)
- County staff service quality