The Dakota County Communities for a Lifetime initiative brings together residents, local businesses, community organizations, cities, and county staff to create networks of age-friendly, healthy, and accessible communities.
Communities for a Lifetime Initiative – Key Challenges & Action Steps
What makes a Community for a Lifetime?
- Transportation options to help keep people mobile and independent.
- Sidewalks and paths that are walkable for transport and exercise.
- A full range of affordable housing options as needs change.
- Accessible and quality services that support older adults and caregivers in home and community settings.
- Flexible and supportive employment and volunteer opportunities, including intergenerational activities.
- Effective technology to connect people and help with life's activities.
Resources and Information page for additional information.
Communities in Dakota County are holding Community Conversations as an initial step to forming a Community for a Lifetime.
Communities for a Lifetime Background Reports
Dakota County Aging Initiative Report – April 2007
Living Longer and Stronger Final Report – December 2010
Communities in Dakota County are at various stages in the process of developing a Community for a Lifetime. Visit Communities for a Lifetime project pages below for more information.
City-level work groups and projects
For more information, contact
Jess Luce, Communities for a Lifetime supervisor, at