Libraries Parks

Public Assistance

Medical Assistance

​Before applying for public assistance, you can find out what programs you are eligible for by using the Bridge to Benefits screening tool.  The tool is easy, confidential and free.

Getting an application
There are many ways to get applications for public assistance.

If you are:

  • 65 years of age or older.
  • Only requesting help with Medicare costs.
  • A child in foster care.
  • 21 years of age or older with no dependents and have Medicare coverage.
  • Receive Supplemental Security Income (SSI).
  • Applying for Medical Assistance for Employed Person with Disabilities (MA-EPD).

You can download the Application for Certain Populations (DHS 3876)

If you are:

  • A person who lives in or may need to move to a nursing home.
  • A person with a disability or age 65 or older who would like services to help you stay in your home.

You can download the Minnesota Health Care Programs Application for Payment of Long-Term Care Services (DHS 3531).

Applying for MNsure
If you are not described above, you can apply for health care coverage throughMNsure, Minnesota’s health insurance marketplace.  Use the online application at MNsure or download the Application for Health Coverage and Help Paying Costs (DHS-6696).

A MNsure computer lab is available at the Northern Service Center, which provides computer access and assistance in applying for MNsure. The lab is open weekdays from 8 a.m.-3 p.m.

Community partners also help to sign up for MNsure, call them to set up an appointment:

  • 360 Communities in Rosemount (651-322-5113)
  • 360 Communities in Burnsville (952-985-5300)
  • Neighbors, Inc.  in South St. Paul (651-455-5000)
  • Hastings Family Services (651-437-7134)
  • Portico in St. Paul (651-489-2273)

By phone
You can request an application form by calling 651-554-5611. When you call for an application, you will need to give the following information: Your name, full postal address and zip code, phone number where you can be reached in case we have questions, the type of assistance you are requesting, and whether you are single or have children under age 21 living with you.

In person
You can pick up applications at each of these locations within the county:
Western Service Center (from Social Services or Public Health)
14955 Galaxie Avenue
Apple Valley, MN 55124

Burnsville Workforce Center
2800 West County Road 42
Burnsville, MN 55337

Administration Center (from Financial Services)
1590 Highway 55
Hastings, MN 55033-2343

U of M Extension
4100 220th Street
Farmington, MN 55024

Submitting an application
You can mail or drop off your application at:
Northern Service Center
1 Mendota Road West, Suite 100
West St. Paul, MN 55118-4765

Your application will be assigned to a financial worker right away. Please answer all questions on the application.

Information you need to provide
In addition to the application form, you will be required to provide verification of identity, age, citizenship, residence, property, income and more.  A list of acceptable verification is available.

Last updated: 6/2/2015 4:03 AM