Don't risk a gap in your health insurance
Annual renewals for Medical Assistance (MA) and MinnesotaCare programs are resuming in 2023. You will receive a notice in the mail when it is time to renew your coverage between April 2023 and May 2024.
Update your contact information
It's important that we can reach you when it's time to renew your health insurance. Make sure we have your current contact information. Contact your health plan to update your information.
Figuring out your renewal month
Enrollees with a MA health plan can contact their health plan to find out when their renewal is due.
If you are not enrolled in a MA health plan, or are unsure, contact us at 651-554-6696.
How to apply
How you apply for health care depends on your specific situation. Choose the application that best matches your needs. If it is not clear which application to use, or if you would like the application mailed to you, please call us at 651-554-5611.
Completed applications can be submitted:
- By fax: 651-554-5748 (preferred method)
- By email: email@example.com (preferred method)
- By mail: 1 Mendota Road W., Suite 100, West St Paul, MN 55118
- Contactless drop-off: There is a drop box located outside the front entrance at the Northern Service Center, 1 Mendota Road W., West St Paul. The drop box is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Items should be sealed in an envelope before being dropped off.
Applying through MNsure
Most will be able to apply for their health care through MNsure.
MNsure is Minnesota's health insurance marketplace to apply for the government-sponsored health care programs Medical Assistance (MA) and MinnesotaCare or determine if you qualify for other financial help in the form of tax credits or cost-sharing reductions.
MNsure is NOT for people who are age 65 or older, those that are blind or certified disabled, individuals living in or moving to a nursing home, or those applying for supports to remain in their own home.
Go to the MNsure website to create a MNsure account and apply online. The MNsure site has all the information necessary to support you during your application process. Applying online is the fastest way to a MNsure eligibility determination, but if you would like a paper MNsure application, print out the form on the Department of Human Services eDocs website.
Need help? Call the Dakota County METS Health Care Team at 651-554-6696 or visit MNSure's Find Free Help page. to access a list of assisters, brokers and navigators near you. This support is available to you free of charge.
If you are:
- 21 years of age or older, with no dependents, and have Medicare coverage
- 65 years of age or older
- A child currently in foster care
- Blind or have a certified disability
- Applying for Medical Assistance for Employed Persons with Disabilities (MA-EPD)
- Applying for help with your Medicare premiums.
Download the Application for Certain Populations (DHS 3876).
If you are:
- Currently living in, or may need to move to, a nursing home
- A person age 65 or older that would like services to help them stay in their home
- A person under age 65 who is disabled that would like services to help them stay in their home.
Download the Minnesota Health Care Programs Application for Payment of Long-Term Care Services (DHS 3531).
Applying for health care can be confusing, and we are here to help. If you have questions, please call us at 651-554-5611.