Libraries Parks

Public Assistance

Cash & Emergency Assistance

​Before applying for public assistance, you can find out what programs you are eligible for by using the Bridge to Benefits screening tool.  The tool is easy, confidential and free.

Getting an application
There are many ways to get applications for public assistance. 

You can apply online at the Minnesota Department of Human Services website. The ApplyMN page allows you to apply for breast and cervical cancer coverage, cash assistance, child care assistance, emergency help, family planning, the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) benefits  and  health care. 
Go to ApplyMN.

You can also download some applications from the Minnesota Department of Human Services:
Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program and Cash Assistance  

By phone

You can request an application form by calling 651-554-5611. When you call for an application, you will need to give the following information: Your name, full postal address and zip code, phone number where you can be reached in case we have questions, the type of assistance you are requesting, and whether you are single or have children under age 21 living with you.

In person
You can pick up applications at each of these locations within the county:
Western Service Center (from Social Services or Public Health)
14955 Galaxie Avenue
Apple Valley, MN 55124

Burnsville Workforce Center
2800 West County Road 42
Burnsville, MN 55337

Administration Center (from Vital Statistics)
1590 Highway 55
Hastings, MN 55033-2343

U of M Extension
4100 220th Street
Farmington, MN 55024

Submitting an application
You can submit the ApplyMN application online.

You can also mail or drop off your application at:
Northern Service Center
1 Mendota Road West, Suite 100
West St. Paul, MN 55118-4765

You will need to come in to the Northern Service Center for an interview.  You can come on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday morning from 8–11:15 a.m.  Intake is closed on Wednesdays and holidays.  The application and forms must be filled out before you see a worker.  Child care is available at no charge from 8:15 a.m.–noon and again from 1–4:15 p.m. 

You can schedule an appointment to apply for family cash programs at the Burnsville WorkForce Center by calling 651-554-5611 and ask to speak to a family cash I&R worker. Child care is not available at this site during your appointment. 

Information you need to provide
In addition to the application form, you will be required to provide verification of identity, age, citizenship, residence, property, income and more.  A list of acceptable verification is available.

Last updated: 10/24/2014 9:01 AM