The Dakota Lodge, located in Thompson County Park incorporates sustainable design features and displays them for interpretation and education for all visitors. The Dakota Lodge is a unique, dual-use facility built in partnership with the city of West St. Paul.
Sustainable features of the Dakota Lodge
- Native landscape plants, reducing watering and pest management.
- Wheat- and sunflower board cabinets, reusing our resources.
- Day lighting and operable windows for natural ventilation, reducing energy use.
- No VOC adhesive and paint, improving air quality.
- High efficiency gas-fired furnace, saving energy.
- Light wall reflective light, saving energy and providing a visually comfortable space.
- Site previously impacted within park, now restored.
- Using existing trees for cooling during summer months.
- Raingardens, naturally treating parking lot runoff.
The Dakota Lodge is available for year round rental through Dakota County Parks.