Green remodeling is becoming easier. There are resources available to guide a home remodeling project such as:
Environmentally friendly building materials
Major home improvement retailers are carrying more environmentally-friendly building materials and products. Manufacturers are making it easier to purchase energy efficient appliances by offering more products rated for energy efficiency. Some certifications to look for when purchasing green products include:
- Design for the Environment (DfE): A certification that compares the performance of products, processes, and practices.
- EcoLogo ™: A certification that measures all the potential environmental impacts from the entire life-cycle of the product.
- Energy Star®: Joint program of the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and the U.S. Department of Energy measuring energy efficient products and practices.
- Green Label Plus ™: A voluntary program for carpet and adhesive products.
- Green Seal ®: A non-profit organization providing science-based environmental certification standards.
Find a professional contractor
A professional contractor can provide expertise in planning a remodeling project. Several professional organizations have incorporated green practices into certification and educational requirements. For a list of professionals specializing in green design, visit the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency website.