Dakota County residents in need of emergency shelter should call the Dakota County Housing and Shelter Line at 651-554-5751. Below are details on current shelter programs:
Shelter for adults
Dakota County provides shelter services on a space-available basis to single adults who are 18 years and older and partnered adults (not households with children) who are connected to Dakota County and need a safe place to sleep at night. Call 651-554-5751 for availability and additional information.
Shelter for youth
The Bridge for Youth
Shelter services will be provided to unaccompanied youth under the age of 18. Text 612-400-SAFE (7233) or call 612-377-8800.
Shelter for families
Dakota Woodlands Family Shelter
The Dakota County Supportive Housing Unit completes all intakes for Dakota County families with minor children to enter the Dakota Woodlands Family Shelter in Eagan. Call the Housing Resource Line 651-554-5751 Ext. 1 for more information.
Eligibility for a shelter
To be eligible for placement in the shelter, you must meet the following criteria:
- Must be a Dakota County resident:
- Dakota County is County of Financial Responsibility (CFR); or
- Physically present in Dakota County and not open to another county for financial or social services; or
- Open to Dakota County Social Services
- Must provide proof of homelessness through proper documentation such as a legal eviction or threat of an eviction from a landlord or homeowner (statements from tenants, friends, and/or family members are not acceptable forms of verification).
- Must be willing to turn over all available income to the shelter for room and board expenses (minus a personal needs allowance).