Consumer Directed Community Support (CDCS) is a service option available to children, adults, and seniors. CDCS gives a person flexibility in service planning and responsibility for self-directing his or her services, including hiring and managing support workers. CDCS may include traditional services and goods, and self-designed services.
Consumer Directed Community Support is a service option available to people who already receive services through, or are eligible, for one of the following home and community-based services (HCBS) programs:
- Alternative Care (AC) program
- Brain Injury (BI) Waiver
- Community Alternative Care (CAC) Waiver
- Community Access for Disability Inclusion (CADI) Waiver
- Development Disabilities (DD) Waiver
- Elderly Waiver (EW)
Participants must also:
- Be able to direct and purchase their own care and supports or have a designated managing party to purchase, arrange and coordinate care on their behalf.
- Qualify for Medical Assistance or MA-TEFRA to fund the plan. Some formal waivered services will be billed to the formal waiver and paid by Medical Assistance.
- Live in a natural home setting and cannot receives services in a licensed or registered setting such as licensed residential services, foster care, and housing-with-services registered by the Minnesota Department of Health.
A person is NOT eligible for the program in any of the following scenarios:
- The person is on the Minnesota Restricted Recipient Program. The person is not allowed to use Consumer Directed Consumer Support while in this program. Search the
U.S. Office of Inspector General Exclusions Database to verify eligibility.
- Exits the waiver or Alternative Care program more than once during the service plan year.
Prior to beginning the Consumer Directed Community Support process, a participant/managing party must
attend an orientation.
Orientation presentation available
If you are interested in attending an orientation, email
email@example.com or leave a voice mail at 651-554-6485. Please leave the following information in your email or voice mail:
- Your name (who is attending orientation)
- Your phone number
- Your email address
- Date you would like to attend orientation
- Name of person eligible for program
- Case manager's name
How the amount of support is determined
For the Community Alternative Care, Community Alternatives for Disabled Individuals, Traumatic Brain Injury, Elder Waiver or Alternative Care waiver, the amount of support is based on the most recent long-term care consultation or reassessment. For Developmental Disability, the budget is based on the most recent full team screening.
Developing a plan
The Consumer Directed Community Support (CDCS) participant/managing party is responsible to:
- Select a
financial management services (FMS) provider
- Develop their CDCS Community Support Plan
- Select their support workers and service providers
- Submit the completed CDCS Community Support Plan to the county
If the participant/managing party needs assistance in writing the Support plan, they can choose to:
- Spend some of their CDCS budget to hire a certified support planner who can help them write the plan
- A certified support planner can be found by searching “Support Planner" at
- Receive guidance from their county case manager
What funds can be used for
For goods and services to be approved on Consumer Directed Community Support (CDCS), they must:
- Be for the direct benefit of the person
- Be included in the person’s CDCS Community Support Plan
- Be necessary to meet one of the person’s assessed needs
- Be related to the person’s disability and/or condition (Brain Injury, Community Alternative Care, Community Access for Disability Inclusion, and Development Disabilities only)
Client Policy (DAK-7214)
Consumer Directed Community Support Expenditure Guide
2022 Consumer Directed Community Support Orientation Schedule
Planning and Budget Forms
CDCS Annual Community Support Plan (DAK-7170.13)
CDCS Waiver Expenditure Plan (DAK 7171)
CDCS Participation Agreement (DAK7 155)
Release of Information Consent - Team C (DAK 7582.09)
Consumer Directed Community Supports Alternative Treatment Form for MHCP-Enrolled Physicians (DHS 5788)
Parent Pay Addendum (DAK 7231)
Determination of Age-Appropriate Dependencies for Children Who Use Long-Term Care (DHS 3428C)
CDCS Informed Consent Payment of Spouse to Provide Support (DAK 7169)
Shared Services Agreement (DHS 6633D)
CDCS Support Planning Agreement (DAK7119.13)
CDS Plan Change Request (DAK 7112)
CDS Staff Mileage and Activity Reimbursement (DAK7113)