Many Americans are one economic trauma away from facing a financial crisis like eviction, utility disconnect and foreclosure. If economic trauma such as sudden loss in income, illness, and volatile shifts in the financial markets are affecting your well-being, these resources are here to help.
In addition to Dakota
counties, the following non-profits offer financial and food assistance:
Stretching Your Food Dollar
- WIC (Women, Infants & Children): WIC provides nutritious foods to supplement diets, information on healthy eating, and referrals to health care.
- Fare for All: Low-cost food purchasing programs open to everyone.
- Farmers' Markets Map: Find the location of farmers' markets in your area.
- University of Minnesota-Extension: Grocery shopping on a budget takes a few hours to learn and a lifetime to master. Start saving today with these resources and tips from the U of MN Extension.
There are many ways to prevent mortgage foreclosure and evictions. These sites offer resources, counseling and programs to assist you:
- CAP Agency: This Agency’s Energy Assistance Program helps eligible households maintain affordable, continuous and safe home energy. Their services include bill payment assistance, home energy crisis intervention, outreach, energy advocacy, information about utility consumer rights, and referrals.
- The Salvation Army: Offers HeatShare program that provides emergency utility assistance for people with no place left to turn. Funds are typically used to pay for natural gas, oil, propane and electricity.
- Energy CENTS Coalition: Promotes affordable utility service for low and fixed income people, to ensure the basic necessity of energy to all citizens, and to encourage the participation of low and fixed income citizens in energy issues and energy related decision-making.
- Public Utilities Commission: This agency’s Consumer Affairs Office helps resolve disputes between customers and utility companies.
- Checklist to Avoid Utility Disconnection: If you are behind in your bills, these steps may help you avoid disconnection.